As a Catholic School, the spiritual life of our pupils and staff is central to our educational mission. Inspired by our patron St John Henry Newman, we aim to encounter Jesus Christ who is the way, the truth and the life. This enables us to live out Newman’s motto by connecting our hearts to our relationship with Jesus and with others.
We live this daily through:
· Daily prayer (The Way, Hail Mary lunchtime prayer, Newman end of the day prayer)
· Regular prayer in the chapel (form time reflection, staff INSET, Liturgical Worship)
· A weekly Mass for form groups
· A Mass for each year group and for feast days
· Weekly assemblies linked to our Year of Charity
· Form group and whole school charity events to care for our brothers and sisters
· Retreats (year 7 day retreat to Castlerigg, residential retreat to Castlerigg, year 10 morning retreat in school)
· Teaching the faith in RE lessons and across the school.
We have a dedicated school oratory (chapel) where we encounter the Blessed Sacrament and a school chaplain to support our pupils on their faith journey.
Mr D McArdle – Deputy Headteacher
Mrs J Radcliffe – Second in RE and Chaplaincy Lead
Mrs A McAree – Head of the RE Department
Miss R Mackay – Chaplain
Fr Luiz Ruscillo was born in Askam-in-Furness in Cumbria. His father is half Italian, half English and his mother is from Portugal. But Fr Luiz supports England in all sports. He went to school in Dalton, and then to Barrow VI Form for A-Levels. Fr Luiz went to Rome at the age of 18 to study for the priesthood for the Diocese of Lancaster. He has been a priest for 30 years and has served in Preston, Blackpool and Lancaster before coming to Carlisle.
When he was younger Fr Luiz played football and rugby for school and local teams. He also played table-tennis (badly) and cricket (even worse), but he is very competitive and enjoys all sports. When it comes to music he likes old fashioned stuff, big-bands and swing, rock 'n' roll, jazz and Motown. He likes singing, but people don't like listening to him sing. His favourite songs are "You'll never walk alone" (from Anfield) and "That's Life" by Frank Sinatra.
Fr Luiz is not interested in cars or clothes but is very interested in food and drink and likes to consume both. The 'love of his life' is Jesus, the Catholic Church and the Bible